WEEKLY RECIPE: Banana Cheddar Barkscotti Dog Biscuit Recipe
Welcome to our weekly recipe series!
Today, we will give you a recipe for "Banana Cheddar Barkscotti" to make your dog's tail wag joyfully.
This banana dog treats recipe makes a tasty treat for your dog that blends the sweetness and nutrition of bananas with the goodness of cheddar cheese. Let's start!
Banana Dog Biscuit Recipe Ingredients:
● 1/2 cup oatmeal
● 1/2 cup hot water
● 3 tbsp butter
● 1/4 cup cornstarch
● 2-1/2 tsp sugar
● 2 tsp beef broth
● 1/4 milk
● 1/4 heavy cream
● 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
● 1 slice of American cheese
● 1 egg
● 1-1/2 cups flour
● 3 tbsp plain unsweetened applesauce
● 2 bananas
Banana Dog Treats Recipe Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats and hot water. Let it sit for 5 minutes to soften the oats.
3. Add the butter (or bacon grease) to the bowl and mix until melted.
4. Add cornstarch, sugar, beef broth, milk, heavy cream, grated parmesan, shredded American cheese, eggs, flour, plain applesauce, and mashed bananas. Mix well until all ingredients are fully combined and form a dough-like consistency.
5. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet and shape it into various shapes about 1 inch thick.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the barkscotti are firm and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
8. Once cooled, carefully cut the barkscotti logs into individual pieces about 1/2 inch thick.
9. Return the sliced treats to the baking sheet and return to the oven. Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and dry.
10. Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before serving to your puppy.
1. Adjust the consistency: the dough should be firm and not too sticky. If it feels too sticky, gradually add more flour until it reaches a workable consistency.
2. Mix ingredients thoroughly: Ensure all ingredients are well incorporated into the dough. This will ensure that each food has a balanced flavor and texture.
3. Bake to perfect: Keep an eye on food while baking to prevent overcooking. The barkscotti should be firm golden brown but not burnt. Adjust baking time as needed, depending on your oven and desired texture.
4. Cool completely: Allow food to cool completely before serving or storing. This helps them get crisp and dry.
5. Eat in moderation: Treats should be given as occasional rewards, not as a substitute for a balanced diet. Remember your dog's total calorie intake and adjust their daily diet accordingly.
Banana Dog Treats Recipe Storage:
● Room Temperature: Store Banana Cheddar Barkscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Make sure the container is tightly sealed to maintain freshness.
● Refrigerate: To extend shelf life, you can refrigerate treats. Put them in an airtight bag or container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
● Freezing: If you want to extend the shelf life further, you can freeze the treats. Place them in a freezer-safe container or bag, squeezing out all the air and freezing for up to 3 months.
● Dairy: The recipe includes several dairy products, such as butter, milk, heavy cream, grated parmesan, and American cheese. If your dog has lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy, consider substituting these ingredients with lactose-free or dairy-free alternatives. Consult your veterinarian for suitable modifications.
● Cornstarch: Cornstarch is used in this recipe. While cornstarch is generally well-tolerated by most dogs, some dogs may have sensitivities or allergies to corn. If your dog is sensitive to corn, you can use arrowroot powder or potato starch instead of cornstarch.
● Beef broth or flavor packet: The recipe calls for beef or a beef flavor packet. If your dog has a beef allergy or sensitivity, you can replace it with vegetable or fish broth to maintain the savory flavor.
Always be cautious when introducing new ingredients to your dog's diet. Before making and giving your dog any homemade treats, you should talk to your vet if your dog has allergies or sensitivities. They can tell you how to change the ingredients and ensure the recipe fits your dog's food needs.
Additional Information You May Be Interested in
1. Can dogs eat bananas?
Yes, dogs can eat bananas in moderation. Bananas are safe for dogs to consume and can be a healthy and tasty treat. They are low in calories and fat while being rich in essential nutrients like potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. When feeding your dog bananas, make sure to remove the peel and cut the banana into small, bite-sized pieces to avoid any choking hazards.
2. Can dogs eat banana peels?
No, it is not recommended to feed dogs banana peels. While banana peels are not toxic to dogs, they are difficult for dogs to digest and may cause digestive issues such as blockages or upset stomachs. The tough and fibrous texture of the peel can pose a choking hazard.
3. Can dogs eat butter?
Dogs can eat butter. However, since butter is high in fat, it may cause indigestion or weight gain in dogs, so please limit how much you feed your dog.
4. Can dogs eat cheese?
Dogs can eat cheese, but only in moderation. Cheese is high in fat and lactose, which can cause digestive issues or allergies in some dogs. If you offer cheese to your dog, choose a low-fat, low-sodium variety and monitor their response.
5. Can dogs eat applesauce?
Small amounts of plain, unsweetened applesauce are safe for dogs. It can be served as an occasional treat or to entice them to eat their regular meals. However, be careful with applesauce with added sugar, sweeteners, or other potentially harmful ingredients.
Congratulations, you can now make Banana Cheddar Barkscotti for your beloved dog. Because they feature sweet bananas and savory cheese, these treats will have your dog wagging his tail happily. But that's not the end of our recipes!
At spunkyjunky, we have a variety of exciting and healthy dog recipes waiting for you to explore. From delicious homemade meals to delicious snacks and desserts, we've got your pet covered. So, start your culinary adventure and try our other pet recipes!