Weekly Recipe: Chicken and Vegetable Dog Food
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of water
- 1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the diced chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the brown rice and water to the pot with the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
- 3. Add the chopped carrots, green beans, and spinach to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- 4. Cover the pot and continue cooking for an additional 10–15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is fully cooked.
- 5. Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- 6. Serve the chicken and vegetable mixture to your dog in a bowl. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3–4 days.
- 7. Note: This recipe makes about 6–8 cups of dog food, depending on the size of your dog. Consult with your veterinarian to ensure this recipe meets your dog's specific nutritional needs.
This recipe contains common allergens for dogs, such as chicken, so it may not be suitable for dogs with allergies to this ingredient.
Before feeding your dog new food, it's better to ask the vet. This is especially true if your dog has a history of allergies or sensitivity. The vet can help you determine if this recipe is good for your dog and suggest any changes you might need to make to ensure your dog is healthy and happy.